[Wine] Re: GNU Lesser General Public License gurus or WineHQ contact

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 7 23:12:39 CST 2008

Dee Ayy wrote:
> Did you check out that iPhone SDK keynote?  It makes me want to sell software.
>
> Do any of you GNU LGPL gurus understand the license
> http://www.winehq.org/site/license to know if we can distribute Wine
> to run our MS Windows executable?  I'm sure it's something basic (for
> a license groker).
>
> I'm not linking with Wine, I just want to install it on the iPhone (if
> Apple allows it through their developer programs) and have Wine run my
> exe, managed by a Mac OS X app.
>
> Or do you know the WineHQ contact to ask?
>
> Regards.

You can, as long as you don't modify it. If you do, you have to make all your modifications available to everyone. Up to a point so anyone can use your modifications (patches) to compile "compatible" Wine version.

Look at the Picasa for Linux - it comes bundled with it's special Wine version. And of course Google has all changes available for download.