[Wine] how to override dll

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 10 02:07:17 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM, bill lam <cbill.lam at gmail.com> wrote:
> I notice that there are some proxy dll inside system32 eg. comctl32.dll, What is
>  the correct procedure to override it? Is that OK that just to copy my native
>  comctl32.dll to overwrite that dll and then run winecfg to set the override tab?

Yes, although for that dll you also have to delete the
fake manifest in windows/winsxs for the dll in question.
I encourage you to try using winetricks when possible,
as it gets its dlls straight from microsoft.com, and handles
the winsxs detail for you.  So:
    wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks cc580
But my question is: why override comctl32?  What app
are you running, and why does it need native comctl32?

>  And if that proxy dll was overwritten, how to restore to use built-in version?

Aw, the safest way is to blow away the .wine directory
and reinstall your apps.   That's what I do.
- Dan