[Wine] Re: wine-0.9.56-1.fc7 . Success with Visio 5. Problems with cups

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 11 17:15:29 CDT 2008

Data Rational Communic... wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running wine-0.9.56-1.fc7 on a Fedora 7 system. I installed Visio 5
> (must be around 10 years old!). The Visio seems stable when running under
> wine, the graphics are good and I can save the vsd files under wine.
>
> Two small problems
>
> 1. Unable to save complex diagrams to jpg or gif. For example, there is an
> Office furniture template which includes walls, chairs and tables. The
> simple items such as walls are displayed in the gif or jpeg or png. The more
> comples items such as chairs and tables are not visible in the exported
> format of the visio diagram.

Anything in the terminal? Some areas in Wine does lack support for these formats. Also it might have been built without support for these image formats.

Data Rational Communic... wrote:
> 2. Unable to print image to cups-pdf. I thought I would get round problem 1
> by printing the Visio image to a PDF. I installed cups-pdf under Fedora and
> this support pdf print from a "native" linux application. However, when I
> print from Visio under Wine, and select cups-pdf as the print destination,
> the output is routed to the physical printer, rather than a pdf.

This is a known problem. cups-pdf is not a "real printer", and Wine can't work with it as-is. The only way I got anywhere with this is modifying a printer port (see registry bellow) to be something like "|kprinter" (KDE's print manager). This makes Wine pipe it's output through manager where you can choose which printer to use.

Code:
[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\HPLaserJetIII]
Port="|kprinter"