[Wine] How to Install WINE on Slackware 12

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 13 10:13:27 CDT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 05:51:23 Plamen.Vassilev wrote:
> Do not run wine as root! Create regular user and then you can follow this
> example:
>
> o Optional: download compile and install latest fontforge from
> sourceforge.net o Download wine sources from
> http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators/wine/wine-0.9.57.tar.bz2 to
> some directory o Extract wine sources with
> Code:
> tar jxf wine-0.9.57.tar.bz2
>

> o Enter the extracted sources directory:
> Code:
> cd wine-0.9.57
>

> o Execute
> Code:
> ./configure --with-x && make depend && make
>

> o If everything went fine do a
> Code:
> make install
>
>  as root, or run wine from the directory where you created it.
> o Optional: run
> Code:
> wineprefixcreate
>

> Hope that helps.
>
> Plamen
>
> P.S. Did I mentioned NOT to run wine as root?

http://www.linuxpackages.net has a repository of programs that are
specifically tailored to be installed with Slackware's pkgtool program.

It usually takes a few days before one of the gurus that process the programs
accomplish their tasks and get the programs uploaded.  My Wine is
perfectly "made" and pops up in KDE or the console.

and, never run wine as root.

Bill Wells