[Wine] HOW TO START WINE

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Mar 13 19:02:01 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:
>  > > RTFM.  This is answered in the wine manpage.
>  >
>  > I don't think telling forum users to literally RTFM is a good idea...
>  > we opened the forum to be more friendly to newcomers.
>
>  Why bother including a manpage with wine, then?

I'm all for writing good documentation, and hoping
people will read it, but the attitude embedded in the
'F' of RTFM is really obnoxious.  Using that phrase
when talking with actual users is like saying
"Go away, you're too stupid to use our tool."

If we want Linux and Wine to take off, we need to learn
to make the average user feel at home -- even those
who don't read documentation.  It's a challenge, but
I think we can do it.
- Dan