[Wine] HOW TO START WINE

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Fri Mar 14 21:45:05 CDT 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 14 March 2008 03:19:18 am David Gerard wrote:
>
>> On 14/03/2008, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone is quick to forget history, it seems.  It's plenty friendly, it's
>>> just not Windows.  You just can't make the same assumptions and expect to
>>> get congruent results; there's an inevitable learning curve to any
>>> software one is not familiar with.
>>>
>> A known interface counts as "friendly" to people unfamiliar with a
>> given new thing.
>>

> Name any software that's friendly by that definition, and I'll show you a
> liar.

Paul:

You must not have been around when Window95 was introduced.  It was a
massive leap forward.  Too bad the Mac interface did not fair as well.

Linux with Gnome or KDE is much second-class, or even third-class as far
as a user friendly interface.  And before you decide that I'm
anti-Linux, I used it from 2000-2005 on an IBM Thinkpad and I still have
Fedora Core 3 or 4 installed on a hard drive around here somewhere for
that same system.  I've also used every version of Windows from 2.0
through WindowsXP (I'm forced to do so at the place where I provide
help), OS/2 2.0 through OS/2 Warp 4.0, Red Hat 7.2 through 9.0, Fedora
Core 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  I've also used Slackware 1.0 (yes, I've been
around THAT long.)  And I've been using a Mac since 2005.  So, I think I
can formulate an opinion on user friendliness.  Oh, I've used MS-DOS 2.0
through 6.22 and PC-DOS 6.  I also work with several flavors of UNIX
(OpenWindows is another poor excuse for a GUI.)

James McKenzie