[Wine] Re: How about this replacement of WINE.

Phobos wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 15 09:34:24 CDT 2008

bussuser wrote:
> Chinese. translated by google.com
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.ccidnet.com%2Fart%2F3033%2F20071102%2F1263763_1.html&langpair=zh%7Cen&hl=zh-CN&ie=UTF-8
>
> the writers are intel's engineer. they made the kvm running on the non-x86 computer first.
>
> He ( in charge of Intel's multi-core software Sunil Saxena) referred to Xen and KVM are developed by the open source community, the majority of the code is also KVM directly from the XEN in the transplant, KVM many developers have come from XEN project team, although the KVM and XEN are two different Virtual Machine.

what I read there is that some developers of KVM came from the XEN project...

read some white papers and documentation and you will see that there are fundamental differences in how both XEN and KVM do the same thing... these differences don't allow them to directly use the same code on both project.

KVM is an extension of QEMU, working as an accelerator like KQEMU, but hardware based (hence, it needs the hardware extensions to work)

XEN is an paravirtualization hypervisor and has an option to use QEMU devices (QEMU-DM) and hardware extensions to use unmodified OSs, like windows...

read Daniel Berrange's presentation about using QEMU in XEN more like KVM does to get a better idea of how XEN compares to KVM: xen.org/files/xensummit_fall07/10_DanielBerrange.pdf

and read also for example from http://linuxvirtualization.com/articles/2007/02/27/ulrich-drepper-on-hypervisors-versus-kvm :

The only slight beef (or question) I have with KVM is why has it diverged from QEMU? More specifically KVM relies on QEMU for it’s device emulation but it also requires hardware virtualization. Now that QEMU’s kernel accelerator is open source could KVM and QEMU not be merged back together to give us one high performing solution that would support both VT and non-VT capable hardware?