[Wine] Sync use accounts between appdb, wine-bugs and wine-forums

Jérôme Gardou jgardou at yahoo.fr
Sat Mar 15 14:59:16 CDT 2008

Le Saturday 15 March 2008 12:35:10 James McKenzie, vous avez écrit :
> James:
>
> No I am not stating that the AppDB is more secure than any of the other
> sites.  What I am saying is that the four sites have different logins
> and that is how they should stay.  If my AppDb information is
> compromised, you cannot get into Bugzilla (I don't even use the same
> login name for the two sites).  If we unify them, then you can and
> definitely 'wreck havoc'.   If you all are really interested, I can go
> into more detail as to why you don't want unified logins, and it has to
> do with levels of security that most folks do not deal with.  I'm not
> going to bore or rant about that here in the mailing list.  The bottom
> line (as they state in business):  Don't use the same login and/or
> password for more than a single web site.  Since the AppDb and Bugzilla
> are technically two different web sites, then that policy should apply.
> Never give up security for the appearance of ease of use.
>
> James McKenzie

I partly agree with you on this point, except for the fact that bugzilla,
appdb, forums and wiki are the same site: winehq.org. Having one strongly
secure user base would help the admins to manage it more easily.
 That is true too that one bad account can do much more damages than if this
was separated for each component, but lots of sites have one account for each
user. (eg. sourceforge)