[Wine] Error with GTA on one box, not on another

Colin Pitrat colin.pitrat at libertysurf.fr
Sat Mar 15 06:15:58 CDT 2008

Hello,

Running GTA (the first one, freely available on Rockstar site ->
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html) on my laptop, I have no
problem in fullscreen.

However, on my desktop computer, where I tried to run GTA from freevo, I got
the error message "Error 296.473 - Cannot find the default display mode". A
strings on executable showed me that it is a message from the game itself,
not from wine. I'm not the only one to have this problem, as this message is
referenced in AppDB
(http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=563).

The desktop and laptop installations are nearly the same: Archlinux
up-to-date, wine 0.9.56. I modified the xorg.conf so that they would be as
identical as possible (only graphic card is different, and touchpad is
configured on the laptop).

I ran the game as follow:
WINEDEBUG=+xrandr,+x11settings,+x11drv,+ddraw,+d3d,+ddraw_geom,+graphics,+win,
+win32,+xrender wine Grand\ Theft\ Auto.exe > gta.log 2>&1
on both computers and diff the resulting file. There are a lot of differences,
but some seems importants to me: