[Wine] Starting WINE

sgtbob wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 17 05:39:42 CDT 2008

I have RTFM but it is limited on offering help when a problem crops up for a noob who is not a programmer.

I DL and installed the WINE program  on my Ubuntu 7.10 and can see it on the Applications.  Selecting 'Configure Wine' brings up the 'grey' screen but nothing I do to it seems to function.

I opened the terminal and typed 'winecfg' and stuff happens like: 'bob at XPS:~$ winecfg
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
ad nauseum
'

So, to paraphrase a disgruntled individual when asked this question replied that I should RTFM, well how do I proceed with the F setup?  :-)

No matter which version of Windows I selected from Vista to the oldest one, nothing happens.  Where am I going wrong? and is there a noob manual that gets to the nitty-gritty of its operation? The user manual is pretty vague on some issues that would help if explained more in detail so's us dummies could understand.

bob
 [Question]