[Wine] Problem with PowerBuilder 6-based app

Hugo Cardozo hugoac2004 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:19:19 CDT 2008

El Martes, 18 de Marzo de 2008 10:55, Geoff Streeter escribió:
> A windows unicode application will be using UTF16. Although, unless you
> are using some extremely unusual characters, that is the same as UCS2.
> So the application is sending two byte unicode characters to your combo
> box.
>
> At some point wine will need to convert those in order to show them in
> its own version of a combo box. It is that conversion that will require
> translation from UTF16 to UTF8. The big difference between UCS2 and UTF8
> is that UCS2 is indexable. If you want to address the 16th character
> then it is at the 32nd byte. With UTF8 you have to walk along the whole
> string counting characters until you reach the 16th. Of course the same
> lack of indexability also applies to UTF16 but few users would notice an
> error induced by treating UTF16 as UCS2.
So, what can I do about that? AFAIK, GNU/Linux don't handle UTF-16.

> The other issue is whether the font used actually has all the characters
> you are trying to display.
Maybe this is not the problem. I used "winetricks allfonts" to install windows
fonts, but I keep getting the same output.

And, FYI, I tried the test programs in the bug 7512 page
(UnicodeTest_GetWindowLong{A,W}.exe), and the two worked fine...

Hugo S.