[Wine] Re: windows privileges

Jim wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 19 15:40:55 CDT 2008

kodefive wrote:
> I am new to using Wine, so perhaps this question has been answered many times before, but how do I choose what windows privileges I want to run a program with?
>
> I know that I should not run Wine with sudo, but how do I tell Wine that I want/don't want *windows* administrator privileges?
>
> Or is it always assumed that the user is an administrator?
>
> Thanks

Wine creates it's own world, so to speak, in your home folder (~/.wine).  So, in the context of files and folders, your applications running under Wine have the same access which the user running wine does.  That is to say, file permissions are handled by the host OS running Wine.

Many administrative tasks under Windows, don't exist within the Wine environment.  Instead these tasks are preformed natively by the OS (Linux/Mac/BSD/etc).  For example sharing files over the network isn't handled by Wine, you'd use Samba for this.  Wine doesn't implement a firewall, instead this is handled by your OS.

With respect to installing software, any user who has the ability to run Wine, can install and run software.  Installed applications are stored, by default, in your users' home folder (independent of other users' home directories).

So I guess it boils down to: What privileges are you trying to grant or restrict?