[Wine] Questions, :-) I'm a novice

Marcel W. Wysocki maci at satgnu.net
Thu Mar 20 10:52:27 CDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:48:10 -0500
"UWF97Nole" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> I only have a win xp system.  have a friend who said I could possibly run this, in his saying, running windows on top of windows?

you can not run wine on windows xp. from the winehq.com frontpage:

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.

Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

--
Marcel W. Wysocki <maci at satgnu.net>