[Wine] Wine

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 11:55:40 CDT 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008 04:13:13 am Darragh Bailey wrote:
> > I've noticed that in certain cases the header "In-Reply-to" doesn't
> > get set by the mail2forum software. Why that happens though I
> > haven't spotted.
> >
> > I did notice that this message was posted twice, so perhaps
> > mail2forum is not working correctly if the user set's the subject
> > in the forum post when replying and instead creates a new topic
> > with that subject.
>
> With all the trouble this causes, I really have to wonder what the
> point of a forum is when just a mailing list with a more traditional
> archive a-la Debian's lists get the job done with fewer problems and
> less headaches for ALL involved instead of just the bottom 5%...

I can see why forums exist - n00bs like them, it's a familiar interface
in a browser and the fact that it's about a gazillion times slower and
harder to work than an archived mailing list is lost on them. Well,
that's just the way that is.

Mailing lists - we know 'em and love 'em. Nuff said.

The bit I don't get is interfacing the two. It's like interfacing a
brothel with a sex-education class - superficially similar but when you
look closer you see they actually have nothing in common...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com