[Wine] Wine

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:04:00 CDT 2008

On 20/03/2008, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:

> > Before we sever the connection, let's look hard for ways to
>  > reduce the source of annoying questions by making Wine more
>  > foolproof, if possible...

> Good luck with that Dan :-) Considering what Wine is up against to even
>  run at all, I'm actually ecstatic with how it works currently.

As I pointed out, it's getting in people who aren't geeks but give
Linux a try. And when it gets a release marked "1.0" - even if it's
not really that different to 0.9.57 - it'll get stupid amounts of
press and there will be a *flood* of n00bs coming along. This is
*nothing*.

I'm thinking here of the experience of the Mozilla 1.0 announcement in
2002. That required getting a pile of stuff (documentation, etc) that
was specifically n00b-ready. The moves to make the wiki and FAQs clear
on user documentation versus developer documentation are a good start
and need to be accelerated.

It might be worth making a more general call for documentation help.

>  Here's an idea though, to be implemented on the forum:
>  Every time a user logs in, they get a Tip Of The Day at the top of the
>  front page, giving short one sentence faq-style tips, much like KDE
>  does by default, just on a web page.
>  Newbies love these things, they pick up wonderful tips. After a while
>  they often switch the feature off as it has served it's purpose.
>  Chances are good that by the time they get to ask a question, they will
>  already have read the nice friendly TOTD that answers it.

Excellent! Excellent! The first three can be "Never run Wine as root" :-D

- d.