[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:01:24 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
> On Friday March 21 2008 17:02:33 Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > As an alternative, decouple the forum and the list and get helpful folks to
>  > pay attention to the forums.
>
>         Main point of creating ML <-> forum link was to not fragment user base and
>  allow people who don't like forums (and want to use ML) but can (and want)
>  to help to the users. Personally I don't like forums very much (however I can
>  use them if necessary but without ML <-> forum link it would simply be
>  impractical for me to read so much messages per day) but I understand why
>  some other people like them.
>

>  > Personally I'd prefer the list not be split.
>
>         +1. And I want to say that I don't see any problem actually. This list exist
>  for helping users. For advanced users who's questions aren't suitable for
>  wine-users we already have separate list - wine-devel. So for people who want
>  to ask/answer advanced questions wine-devel is best place.

Yep. It's often painful getting new things started. I think a year
from now having the forum as an easily searchable repository of this
information will likely be better than using Google to find a single
on-topic response to some problem. I can imagine I search with Google,
find an email that looks interesting, see the topic and then go to the
forum to read the whole thread. I likely won't start in the forum but
I could end up there to read more context info.

Cheers,
Mark