[Wine] opengl32.dll problem running WoW.exe after new graphics card

jetbadkey1 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 21 13:33:33 CDT 2008

Running Ubuntu 7.10 64bit, had World of Warcraft running fine under Wine with OpenGL, then my graphics card ate itself (Nvidia 7900GTX).  Bought a new one (Nvidia 8800GT), but I had to monkey with the system in order to get the 8800GT to work.  I'm pretty sure I messed something up trying to get the 8800GT to work as I had to remove the restricted drivers module.  Now when I try to run WoW.exe I get the following error;

$ wine WoW.exe
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"OPENGL32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:~\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe") failed (error c000007a).
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:~\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000135

I tried completely removing Wine and re-installing.  When I run winecfg I get the following error;

$ winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '~/.wine'...
Could not load Mozilla. HTML rendering will be disabled.
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"opengl32.dll": libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
wine: '~/.wine' created successfully.

I've tried searching around to see if anyone else has had this problem and I find reference to it here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine/Troubleshooting however I do not have a /usr/local/lib/wine directory.  I believe this is because I'm missing a lib that I may have lost trying to get the 8800GT to work.  I do have /usr/lib32/wine and opengl32.dll.so is there with root owner permissions -rw-r--r--.

My next step will be to compile source instead of apt-getting from Ubuntu's repositories but I don't think that will make a difference since I think I'm missing a lib.

Any ideas much appreciated.