[Wine] Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 22 03:25:12 CDT 2008

Timeout message was not here where I posted.

Sorry to say Timeout uses a completely invalid method to get access to the windows partition.  Cause lack of Linux/Unix skill the one of the very reasons why I want root usage forbin out right forcing users to find the correct solution.

Vfat mount options

> uid=value and gid=value
>     Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and gid of the current process.)

Notice something edit fstab put your uid there on the fat drive and you can write to it freely.  No reason to be in root at all.  So thank you for putting you complete system at risk for no good reason Timeout.  Now if you had been locked out from doing it you might have found the correct solution.

Gets even more powerful you can even override default assigned permissiins

> umask=value
>     Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that are not present). The default is the umask of the current process. The value is given in octal.
> dmask=value
>     Set the umask applied to directories only. The default is the umask of the current process. The value is given in octal.
> fmask=value
>     Set the umask applied to regular files only. The default is the umask of the current process. The value is given in octal.

Now using the masks you could even give a group full read write to the drive and give a set of users full read write access to it.

Now were was this gold mine of information "man mount"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab  << little guide to Fstab.   Note umask=000 means all users on the system have free rain to write to the file system.

Now please find something that truly needs root.  Not something that is just lack of skill.  There is basically no good reason I know of to be running wine as root.   Network access features it needs under linux can be enabled 1 bit at a time.   All filesystem accesses can be corrected threw valid means.  Maybe there is a need on NON Linux platforms.