[Wine] Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 22 05:51:10 CDT 2008

sudo someone has giving you the right to step up to root when needed.  After using sudo or su straight you have the full root permissions.  Note sudo -u <username> or su <username>  allows you to  change into a different user with sudo you can use your own password if they approve your access.  Note sudo requires your user listed in a particular configuration file distro can done this for you.

Man on the command is extreamly useful.   man su and man sudo.

Root permissions past anything windows users are use to.

Windows Administrator has some limits on what it can do.  Root on Linux is basically 100 percent rights to do everything and anything.  Really a bad thing to be giving to wine or any other program without need.

With root permissions you can delete every file include files in use.   There is nothing protected from harm at all.  So running with root permissions is totally not recommended unless its required.  Of course most system configuration requires root permissions to be able to edit.

Root Permissions is also the most dominate  for resource access.  So bad in fact that if you have a database service running and root is doing a lot of disk activity the database service will not be able to write to harddrive until root permissions thing is not writing to the disk.  Since all root things harddrive operation take preference over every other user on the system.   Windows services have more dominance than Administrator.   Most powerful user called system windows users are not allowed to use.

Out-Of-Memory Process Killer called oomkiller for short of Linux killing everything bar wine first in attempt to save the system due to running out of memory.  Ie Root Permission stuff is god and you don't kill a god unless you have too.  Note running as a normal user it will most likely take out wine and protect the rest of system from being nuked.

Root Power is the point of absolute power on Unix and Linux systems unless security system like selinux or containers are set to contain root.  By the default in most distros it is not contained.

My problem is people like you Timeout who don't understand that Root in Linux is many times more powerful than the Windows Administrator account start running wine in it. Not understanding the massive harm they are risking.   So I want wine to kinda say no I am not going to run as root.   So users like you stop before you break things big time.  Of course a good message why it turned you down.  I would not put it past having to create documentation as need to teach users the correct ways.

You will find a lot of Linux people will give free advice if we are asked timeout to prevent you doing harm to your system.

http://tldp.org/guides.html  << Is one good source of free books on how to use Linux.  Lots of good information there.