[Wine] Wine almost immediately crashes X

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 10:46:45 CDT 2008

On 22/03/2008, walkeraj <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>  I'm attempting to run a couple of simple games under Wine 0.9.57 in Gutsy on my new System76 laptop. When I attempt to run either of them, the loading graphic comes up, but the moment they attempt to change to fullscreen, X crashes. No warnings, no output to the terminal, just a brief flash back to a text terminal and then right back to GDM.
>  So, it's obviously something video related, yet I'm rather surprised X is dying so fantastically in this way. Could the fact that it's a widescreen resolution have something to do with it? How should I begin to diagnose this problem?
>  Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

If Wine crashes X, then it's because of a video driver problem. Wine
will never be able to crash X if the video driver is working properly.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Linux , this chip
has proper open source drivers in the Xorg server. So this is likely a
reportable bug. I'm not sure who you'd report it to in the first
instance ... If you can reproduce it, you might report it to Ubuntu
first. Dunno what they'd need to do something with the bug report ...

- d