[Wine] Populous: The Beginning under wine-0.9.49

Xolo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 22 14:26:07 CDT 2008

L.S.

I seem to remember this being a bit easier, apparently i'm wrong:

Code:

[xolo at sasquatch .wine]$ wine d:\\Setup.exe
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Brooktree Bt878, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2, disabling mixer
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Brooktree Bt878, disabling mixer
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Device 0x46d:0x8b2, disabling mixer
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x11ef:0x00003540 (thread 0011), starting debugger...
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:00000800 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:000076d4 (mode 0)
fixme:dbghelp:addr_to_linear Failed to linearize address 400d:000076ac (mode 0)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7ef2c500 "syslevel.c: Win16Mutex" wait timed out in thread 000e, blocked by 0011, retrying (60 sec)
[xolo at sasquatch .wine]$

Is the output from running Setup.exe off of the Populous: The Beginning CD-Rom.
I recall this game being version 1.00 on this disc.

System as follows:

* Mandriva 2008 Free (DVD version), last updates received this morning.
* Linux version 2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv (qateam at mercury.mandriva.com) (gcc version 4.2.2 20071128 (prerelease) (4.2.2-3.1mdv2008.0)) #1 SMP Mon Feb 11 13:53:50 EST 2008
* 2.8Ghz/512k L2 Intel Pentium 4 Processor
* 1GB DDR Ram
* nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4200/128MB AGP 3D Graphics Accelerator Card
* dkms-nvidia96xx - NVIDIA kernel module for most GF2/3/4 class cards - 1.0-9639.4mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
* compiz-fusion - Compiz Fusion OpenGL composing manager - 0.0.1-0.3mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
* libwine1 - Libraries for wine - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
* libwine1-devel - Static libraries and headers for wine - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.
* wine - WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs - 0.9.49-1mdv2008.0 installed and running, no update available.

I'm curious how I can resolve this. Apparently according to the AppDB, Populous: The Beginning version 1.01 can actually install and run, but with some problems, however no specific instructions other than "it works you will only need directx" were left behind.
DirectX already appears to be present within my currently installed version of Wine (as running an DirectX installer will yield a window offering the option to reinstall it rather than install it), so i'm wondering what "it works you will only need directx" here means.
I can't even get to the install screen, it will pause for the stated 60 seconds, then return to the autorun splash screen.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.