[Wine] Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 22 17:54:36 CDT 2008

Paul Johnson what I said about Windows Administator is true.

The user that matches Root on Windows is System.   A user that without hacking cannot be logged in on.

As system you can delete files in USE.   As Administrator you cannot.

As system you have resource access Dominance.   As Administrator you will yield to system processes and services.  Of course Administrator has more dominances than limited users.

Basically using root you can stuff up databases and other things if you tie up a device.  Yes the hidden account that matches up to root on windows.

To make Linux have a user like Windows Admin.
1. selinux or equal to assign extra privileges to a non 0 user or remove device dominance privilege from root.   Removing the delete files in use is a little hard.
2. Have some form of containers to control root user from taking dominance.

All distributions out there I know don't do either yet.

Scale of damage a run away process as root is many times worse than a run away process as Windows Administrator.

Ok So we have a forum bug.  Sorry not on mailing list.   Got too many lists all ready on my email account.  Thinking the forum is here to stay the bug has to be fixed.

Yes I do know how to quote just I was lazy because the message was targeted at one person and I include the source to find it in the instructions "man mount".

PS Paul Johnson never under estimate my means to abuse the English Language. "Root permissions are past anything windows users are use to."  Yes I was being evil using implied verb(dropping the are) to give force to statement.  Also saying a sentence with double are in it suxs.  It is a technically valid sentence even that no grammar checkers out there would pass it.