[Wine] Re: Populous: The Beginning under wine-0.9.49

Xolo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 23 10:14:03 CDT 2008

Still on the version as in my first post, but with more progress:

Avoiding the autorun and splash screens; Populous: The Beginning can be installed via the following steps:

* Insert CD
* Open terminal of choice and change to the following folder on the CD: setup/
* Change to the folder containing your choice in language, e.g. english/
* Run 'wine SETUP.EXE' inside the language folder you chose.
* Populous: The Beginning setup will run without the splash screens.

The missing DLL file error I got in my first post is also resolved using these steps, they are placed by the installer.

What happens:

* To avoid 'Cannot find CD' error, a patcher and fixer program had to be used.
* Can't run D3DPopTB.exe, but can run popTB.exe.
* Virtual desktop size is not honored: Game will force a 640x480 viewport by default in the main menu, setting 800x600 within the game's options seems to have no effect versus 640x480 default.
* Mouse cursor is 'stuck' in screen center, however it is movable with great effort (lots of moving will get you there eventually with hops and rubberbanding) Scaling problem? I've seen this once before while using VNC on my local desktop, to my local desktop (causing an endless depth view) same kind of mouse jumps.
* Keyboard commands crippled?, sometimes the game doesn't seem to receive these for some commands such as viewing World or Surface (Enter key should toggle this in-game).
* The "HW_SW_Select.exe" program starts, exits silently without showing a GUI, spits out a 'wine: unhandled exception' along with a large amount of "ELF" prefixed messages.

What works and how:

* popTB.exe will run (Software rendering)
* Cutscene videos will play and are normal, one small glitch: Screen stays black after video. Hitting the Enter key however still activates the default action, such as starting the next level. Screen returns to normal after this transition.
* Sounds work and are normal
* Graphics work and are normal
* Framerate excellent
* Tutorial will run and can be completed
* Can start new games and play these

If the mouse problem can be resolved, the setup will be complete. To me it looks like a scaling problem between what the game wants and what Wine and/or desktop manager is/are providing, however I can't be sure about this. Insight anyone?
My physical desktop layout is 1280x1024, and the virtual desktop is 1024x768. Setting the virtual desktop to any other size has no effect on the mouse behaviour in-game.