[Wine] Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:05:59 CDT 2008

On 23/03/2008, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor at dunaweb.hu> wrote:
> Paul Johnson írta:

> > .deb is really easy by comparison, aptitude does literally everything for you
>  > instead of sending you into dependency hell looking for every RPM you need to
>  > install the RPM you want.  RPM based distros are generally exceedingly
>  > difficult to upgrade thanks to the poor package management.

> Sorry, that's just FUD. You face the same dependency hell
>  if you use plain old dpkg, the rpm equivalent. Please, compare yum
>  with apt-get or compare yumex or pirut or whatever that does
>  package management presenting a GUI with aptitude if you want to be fair.

I concur. The user experience depends entirely on the repository. apt
is lovely on Debian and Ubuntu because Debian take incredible care
with the quality of their repository. yum on Fedora isn't bad at all.
apt on Fink is mediocre because their repository is crappy.

The myth arose because yum was a long time coming, and Debian happens
to have a high quality repository that just happens to use deb instead
of rpm.

Now, back to Wine ... :-)

- d.