[Wine] Re: newbie install question

Chad wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 23 16:27:38 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 1:31 PM, labyerly <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > I have an ASUS eePC with the default linux installation (Xandros I believe).
> > I would like to install wine to run a custom application.
> > However, I can not figure out which version of wine to download.
> > Will any of them work?  If not which one should I use?
> >

> The easiest option is to turn on Crossover, described here:
> http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=5589
> Whether it will work for your app is the big question.
> Check the compatibility list at http://codeweavers.com.
>
> I don't have any advice about which flavor of wine to try,
> sorry.

I used the debian version of wine on my eee and it worked fine. I was also able to install from source by piecing together dependencies from the debian repository. However, I do remember having problems with wine-gecko always crashing on launch with either way I installed wine.

Aditionally, per Dan's comment, installing Crossover with the loki installer worked well too (I'd assume the deb package would work too).