[Wine] wineboot.exe

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 10:08:45 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Paul(huifeng)
<huifeng.huang at bnc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >    First, 3 requests for information in less than 30 minutes is not
>  > consistent with how this list operates. Please allow some time.
>  >
>  >    On my system wineboot is installed in /usr/bin. Is it there on yours?
>  >
>  > - Mark
>  >
>  > mark at lightning ~ $ slocate wineboot
>  > /usr/bin/wineboot
>  > /usr/lib32/wine/wineboot.exe.so
>  > /home/mark/Desktop/Wine-0.9.57/wine-0.9.57/programs/wineboot
>  > /home/mark/Desktop/Wine-0.9.57/wine-0.9.57/programs/wineboot/Makefile.in
>  > /home/mark/Desktop/Wine-0.9.57/wine-0.9.57/programs/wineboot/resource.h
>  > /home/mark/Desktop/Wine-0.9.57/wine-0.9.57/programs/wineboot/shutdown.c
>  > ......
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Paul(huifeng)
>  > <huifeng.huang at bnc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Hi All:
>  >>
>  >>  When I run a program with wine, it always complain cannot find wineboot.exe.
>  >>  I think the program is successfully installed, but it cannot run.
>  >>  Anyone knows what wrong?
>  >>
>  >>  Thanks
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >>  Huifeng Huang
>  >>  Brasenose College
>  >>  OCMR Unit, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine
>  >>  & Fluidics and Biocomplexity Group, Engineering Science
>  >>  Department, Oxford
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  Yes, it is there in /usr/bin/.
>  But I cannot find it in /home/.wine/Program Files/
>  Is it wrong?

Paul,
   PLEASE, do not respond to me directly. Respond to the list. If you
email these to me I will likely delete your message without responding
as spam.

   Of course wineboot is in /usr/bin on my machine. I gave you a
listing of how I found it. I didn't make it up.

   You should not be looking in /home/.wine for Wine related install
files but rather /home/paul/.wine as Wine is stored locally by
default.

   It sounds like either your distro or your machine has a broken Wine
installation. You have not given anyone enough info to really help
much. We don't know your distro. We don't know how Wine was installed.
We don't know much about the application. You have not provided a link
to a demo version that we could possibly try out.

   Try to give more info on what you are doing. You said it was
'installed'. You said you could 'run it'. You didn't say what
happened. Does it just die with nothing ever appearing and only text
in your terminal?

- Mark