[Wine] Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:00:06 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:

>  On Monday 24 March 2008 03:47:59 am Timeout wrote:
>
>  > Can't you simply start by not allowing uncontrolled connexions to the
>  > Internet (like adding an offline-modus in winecfg instead on blocking the
>  > root)?
>
>  What reason would one EVER need to run end-user software as root in the first
>  place?  Wine or not, that's just terrible practice.

In Linux I agree. In Windows there is lots of software that requires
folks to install and/or run as administrator. I sometimes suspect that
some Wine users, nebies mostly, get confused about the difference
between the two.

I would personally *never* run Wine as root. About the only thing I
run as root on my systems are the programs to install software,
nothing else, at least in a terminal, etc.

As much as I like Wine I am even concerned about running it in my
regular user account as it seems to me someone could write a Windows
program that then erases all my Linux user files, etc.

Just my being paranoid,
Mark