[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:23:14 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes
>  <alex at thehandofagony.com> wrote:
>  >  > but would it also be worth adding a section on the AppDB page that listed
>  >  > some native alternatives that did the same job, I mean for most word
>  >  > processing do people really need to use Word or do they just need an
>  >  > application that can read/write Word files if necessary?
>  >
>  >  That's an interesting idea.  It certainly wouldn't be too hard to add such
>  >  functionality, and quite a few entries list such alternatives already.
>  >  What is the general mood for something like this?
>
>  It doesn't seem like a priority to me; e.g. a better way to search/browse
>  apps by various criteria is much higher on my list.

I agree. If someone needs or just wants to run a Windows app then the
last thing I personally want to get in the middle of is some political
conversation about Open Source vs everything else. I have nothing
against those conversation but this isn't the place for them IMO.

I agree also about better searching although if a user has a specific
app she's paid for then it's that app she's probably most concerned
about.

Specifically for newbies, and maybe as part of regression testing
overall, I think it would be VERY useful to have a list of links to
demo downloads for apps we, as a group, agree work well. Newbies could
quickly look at that list, download a few, and figure out how to do an
install of those without the problems they are likely to see with the
random app they want to run. After they go to 'Wine Install School' if
they then try installing their specific app. I suspect they'll make
fewer newbie mistakes and ask fewer questions of the list.

So RFC: Let consider creating a Wine Install School with some known
apps and simple instructions for newbies to build their understanding.

- Mark