[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:03:22 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Specifically for newbies, and maybe as part of regression testing
>  >  overall, I think it would be VERY useful to have a list of links to
>  >  demo downloads for apps we, as a group, agree work well
>
>  That's exactly what better appdb searching/browsing would
>  provide; check 'downloadable' and 'platinum' and browse away.
>  Ideally this would let you browse the apps in the category
>  tree, so you could find downloadable platinum games easily.

That certainly works but it leaves the newbie picking what his
homework assignment will be and it leaves us answering similar
questions for different apps. I was thinking even more basically to
suggest to the newbie on a very simple Getting Started page that he
download a *specific* demo install file and run *specific* commands.
We would then expect newbies to finish this little install boot camp,
maybe taking 15 minutes or less, before they start showing up asking
'What's winecfg?', etc.

>  >  So RFC: Let consider creating a Wine Install School with some known
>  >  apps and simple instructions for newbies to build their understanding.
>
>  A screencast or two might be good.
>  (apt-get install istanbul seems to install a pretty good session
>  video recorder, fwiw)

Nice idea. I'll check that out. It's in portage also.