[Wine] Re: Wine on Windows 7

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 25 00:05:08 CDT 2008

Northrup wrote:
> For some time now I have been researching the upcoming Windows 7, scheduled for release in 2009 - 2010.
>
> Recently, a number of websites have stated that Microsoft is no longer including backwards compatibility with software from previous versions of Windows.  From the number of sites, I'm guessing this is not just a rumor.  And considering the almost infinitely massive list of Windows programs already in existence, previous users of Windows will not be very happy about it.
>
> So, would it be possible to create a version of Wine that could run under a Windows environment as its own executable?  I've tried sifting through the .zip archives, and only found the stuff that Wine installs to imitate Windows.  So far the only other solution would be to install an older Windows on a virtual machine or by finding some kind of emulator, but after using Wine and seeing its friendliness, I believe a Windows version of Wine would be best for this task.
>
> Thank you,
> Ryan Northrup
>

> P.S.  If there is another section of winehq.org that is more suited for suggestions, then redirection would be greatly appreciated.

Wine's objective is to run windows programs on *NIX (Linux, Mac, BSD, etc). windows is not *NIX so Wine won't run on it as simple as that.

Yes some dlls can be used as a replacement but that is pretty much limited to "peripheral" dlls - those that are built on another layer. Or some special cases, like d3d9 which is built on top of OpenGL.

Core dlls, such as kernel32.dll, user32.dllm shell32.dll, ntdll.dll & co won't ever work. And trust me, most of the "legacy" junk windows has is spread among those core dlls that do lots of nasty stuff to stay compatible with old legacy programs.