[Wine] Tried to create a window, no driver could be loaded (998)

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:11:27 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Carbiens <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> ****This is an edited version of a previous post****
>

>  Hi,
>
>  This could be a configuration problem as i am trying to run this on my office machine and i have not checked its hardware profile or drivers. Also im fairly new to all this but i know my way around for the most part.
>
>  My destro: Fedora 8
>  WINE version: 0.9.56
>
>  Done a yum install for wine today, ran without any errors. afterwards went to Applications>Wine>winehelp and nothing seemed to happen. I should note that none of the launchers have icons after >Wine (dont know if thats normal or not).I also tried Wine Configuration and the uninstaller.
>  I then tried to run ie6setup.exe (internet explorer) using wine taken from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&displayLang=en

Why are you trying to install ie6? Mozilla gecko is already downloaded
when IE is needed, and getting Microsoft's IE to run takes quite a bit
of tweaking.

>  Same result, nothing seemed to happen.
>
>  From my terminal i ran the following:
>
>  [root at me Desktop]# cd /home/me/Desktop/
>  [root at me Desktop]# ll

Don't run wine as root.
Don't run wine as root.
Don't run wine as root.

To clear up the root mess:
$ sudo rm ~/.wine

Then reinstall your needed apps. Are you trying to test it wine works?
If so, do:
$ wine notepad

And you should get a small notepad window.