[Wine] Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 25 17:45:11 CDT 2008

James Hawkins  	PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:33 am

> There's nothing special about Wine. Someone can also write a Linux
> program that erases all your user files.
>
> James Hawkins

Yes I can write a program to nuke a Linux system.    There is some things special about wine.

It allows operation of applications from the Most virus plagued OS on earth.  And by its own operation does not have any built in defenses.

New users from windows think everything needs Administrator to work. So abuse wine.  This is a key factor.  Abuse wine.  Using it when it should have never been used that way.

Finally running as root needs care.   Like I have screwed up a database in the past by coping large section of data and blocking the database from writing to disk.  Wine does cause High CPU load and Resource usage at times.  Reason why comparing to cat or something else kinda does not cut it.  Most applications that operate as root by normal use create those effects.  Normally applications that have the risk of this at least change to a different user to reduce system wide risks.

Now that should at least show a little care.   Running as root would not be as large of issue if wine did not have these problems with users and operation.

By the way not one person has come up with 1 valid reason to run as root.

Only reasons have been incompetence.  Sorry to say I don't take that lightly.  Same as another section from what I see we need to lock root of and give the uses links to documentation to do it right cure the incompetence.   We have to take responsibility for the program that is being created.