[Wine] internet

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:33:24 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursine.ca> wrote:

>  On Tuesday 25 March 2008 03:54:02 pm p1rat3 wrote:
>  > i cant get one the internet using wine how can i fix this problem i tryed
>  > using ymlite and yahoo messenger
>
>  Have you considered using one of the Linux native messangers?  If you use KDE,
>  Kopete offers IM list/PIM address book integration with Kontact and supports
>  9 proprietary (including Yahoo) and 2 open IM protocols.
>
>  Yahoo Messenger also has an official Linux port of their client at
>  http://messenger.yahoo.com/unix.php , however, IIRC, it tends to crash and
>  doesn't offer the full compliment of YIM's features.
>
>  (I could be wrong about the official YIM client's stability, though; I've
>  migrated my contacts over to XMPP as soon as IETF declared it a standard
>  making the proprietary IM services obsolete, and Google Talk made it
>  stupid-easy for the average joe to start using XMPP a couple years ago...)

Paul, please stop advising users to try Linux equivalents.  This is
not the place.  This is the Wine users mailing list/forum, and whether
users know about the equivalents or not, users come to this place to
get help running their Windows apps with Wine, which is exactly the
purpose of this project.  This is analogous to a KDevelop developer
telling a KDevelop user to try out Eclipse instead because of a bug in
KDevelop.

--
James Hawkins