[Wine] Re: Minimum Requirements for windows required?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 25 22:05:11 CDT 2008

topgrey wrote:
> I've read so far that running apps via wine may run faster in some cases and should use less memory.  My question is does my linux box have to meet the same minimum requirements needed to run the program on windows?  In other words, if a game required 256M video ram for a windows box would the same be required for the app in Wine?  Thanks for any responses.

In general - yes. However it's hard to tell for sure, especially as far as video memory goes. But for video card requirements - you'll need faster one then on windows with same minimal functionality level. Wine is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the speed of windows (for DX9 games).

As for the system requirements - you have to count in your whole system. If Wine uses 10MB it doesn't mean that all the rest is available to the game. You have to count resources used by GUI (X server, desktop) and other parts of the systems.

So in short - your mileage may vary.