[Wine] Re: Empty subject

jnewman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 26 15:48:40 CDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:

> I've been receiving a lot of emails where all I see is a statement
> from the person posting in (I assume) the forum but not quoting any of
> the test that he or she is responding to. This makes it pretty much
> impossible for me to say much of anything in context so I'm just
> deleting these without much attention.
>
> So far today it seems like this must be at least 50% of the traffic.
>
> Are others seeing this also? Is anything about this caused on my end?
>
> If this is happening because the default in the forum is to not
> quote the previous part of the thread I can completely understand
> that. That's the way a forum should work since you can see the post
> immediately above. However if that sort of post in the forum is sent
> to the email list without any context it's almost useless here I
> think.

This is a fundamental difference between Forums and the mailing list. In the forum, replies are always shown in ascending order by post time, so it is not necessary to quote a post above it.

Mailing list users could work around this by configuring your email client to show posts in a threaded view. Thunderbird supports this.

Ahh, the joys of merging two distinct discussion communities into one pot. Who's idea was this again?