[Wine] Getting started

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 26 18:05:47 CDT 2008

battlestarjesus <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I turned off the 3D effects.  Now when  I run winecfg I have a title bar.

Yay!

> There should be a way to have the 3d effects on and it not conflict with WINE.

Yes; hopefully that will get sorted out as compiz matures.

> I am using WINE version 0.9.44.

That's a bit old.  We're on 0.9.58 now.

>  I am running winecfg because the documentation indicates
> that it is a useful configuration feature of WINE,
> I want to completely understand WINE, and learn to manipulate
> it in order to port every and any application.

Unless you're a wine developer, a more practical attitude
might be "For each app I need, I'm going to just run the app's
installer with Wine.  If the app doesn't install or doesn't work,
I'm going to assume Wine doesn't support the app yet."
Seriously.  A lot of people assume that they can use
winecfg etc. to somehow get apps working, but usually,
the answer is simply that Wine doesn't support the app yet.

And if you're a Wine developer, the attitude is roughly
the same, plus "I'm going to file a bug with Wine and
see if I can fix the problem".
- Dan