[Wine] Re: WOW "fixes"

Jim wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 26 18:42:28 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:

> That's too bad.  I've asked the WoW appdb maintainer to comment.
>
> As a maintainer for Photoshop and a few other apps, I do find
> that it's easy to not notice test data submissions, so sometimes
> I don't approve them as quickly as I should.  I always try to
> explain why when I reject or remove stuff.
> - Dan

I personally think the HowTo sections and such should be more like a Wiki and be updated by all.   These sections often go out of date and become incorrect.

They should at least be flagged as outdated if the maintainer hasn't touched it within the last 10 releases--the same way that test data is.  They should also be flagged if a linked bug is resolved.  Of course if the DB entry for an app gets flagged a message should be sent to all of its maintainers.  If none respond within a week or so, the application's entry becomes unmaintained (ie the maintainers are removed for not being maintainers).

Additionally there's a lot of test data with the three text fields filled in with "everything", "nothing", and "nothing" (everything works, nothing doesn't work, and everything was tested).  It gets a platinum rating despite the fact every post prior to or after rated it much lower and expressed significant problems.  These are the worst kinds of posts because they really don't give any useful information and serve to frustrate users who can't get an app working.  All they know is that there is some unsubstantiated claims that it can be done.

I think that the suggestions expressed in other threads in the list, with respect to improving the rating system, are also very relevant and should be considered as well.

If time and resources permit I think it would be great to have these kinks worked out by 1.0 time--at least to what extent they can be.