[Wine] Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

zach at drayer.name zach at drayer.name
Thu Mar 27 02:58:06 CDT 2008

> Missed the best bit.  Using a loader program running as root under older
> Linux kernels it could assign the capabilities and still run wine as a
> normal user with the network access it needs.
>
> All that is really in 2.6.24 kernel is a simple way to avoid having to run
> security raising  program to get there or use a LSM.
>
> So the need to have wine itself running as root is well and truly passed
> on linux.

Not everyone that runs Wine does so on Linux though.  I personally run it
on OS X - as do many others.  I dont doubt there's people running Wine on
other *nix variations as well.  Solaris, FreeBSD and OS X are mentioned on
the front page of wineqh.org as working with Wine, not to mention there
are binary downloads for Solaris, FreeBSD, PC-BSD and Windows linked to
from the download page. And instructions for building Darwine on OS X are
available from Wine's wiki as well.

Just because it works in Linux doesn't mean its perfect.  OS X for example
cant create a socket of type SOCK_RAW without root.