[Wine] Is Wine taking my donations and giving them to CrossOver?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:44:49 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM, muncrief <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Well I must say.
>
>  I certainly feel like a fool now.
>
>  I have been contributing to Wine for about five months, and was shocked to see a blatant advertisement for CrossOver, who take the hard work of those who have contributed their intellect for free and sell it for profit, on your home page.

CrossOver provides the servers for several of the wine pages.

>  I then discovered through your own FAQ that most Wine developers are employed by CrossOver.
>

>  Is this legal?

Yes. Unlike TransGaming, Crossover is helping to develop wine. This is
the same way redhat helps develop linux.

>  To claim you are an open source project and take money from those contributing in good faith, and give it to a private for profit company?.
>
>  I don't think so.
>
>  So I must be misunderstanding something.
>
>  Could someone please explain, clearly, whether Wine is an open source project or not?

Wine is definitely open source.

>And whether or not Wine purposely cripples it's game playing and
other capabilities so that CrossOver can prosper?

There is no intentional crippling of wine for CrossOver to prosper.

John