[Wine] Re: Is Wine taking my donations and giving them to CrossOver?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 27 23:30:30 CDT 2008

muncrief wrote:

> I have been contributing to Wine for about five months, and was shocked to see a blatant advertisement for CrossOver, who take the hard work of those who have contributed their intellect for free and sell it for profit, on your home page.
>
> I then discovered through your own FAQ that most Wine developers are employed by CrossOver.
>
> Is this legal?

Well as far a the license (LGPL) goes anyone can take Wine's code, modify it a bit and sell it. As long as they make those modifications available to the public. However Codeweavers are not just takers, they are the biggest giver to the project who employs most active Wine developers. Who otherwise would not be able to spend that much time on the project.

If you talking about donated money which go into "Wine party fund". AFAIK that's not much money to pay even for one's developer full time job. So the next best thing - that money is being used to organize Wine conferences and pay some expenses for developers who can't do it themselves.