[Wine] Is Wine taking my donations and giving them to CrossOver?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 28 09:42:29 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM, muncrief <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Well, I think I have a clearer picture of what is going on now.
>
>  And I thank all of you for your responses.
>
>  It appears that unfortunately there weren't enough open source
> software users such as myself who actually donate what they can
> so that Wine could viably exist, so Wine essentially became an
> R&D resource for CodeWeavers.

You've got it kind of backwards.  Codeweavers is an R&D resource for Wine!

>  The problem I have is that, of course, Wine is not an open source project.

That's just plain wrong.  Wine is completely open source, under the
LGPL license.
Even the "enhanced" version of Wine that Codeweavers sells is
open source; see http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source/
where you can download the source of their latest release.

> And whether "official" or not, must offer something less than
> the company that employs them.

Not sure what you mean.

>  So I will halt my donations to Wine, which were falsely solicited.
>
>  If you had been honest in the first place, I might have happily paid
> for your products. I have given over $500.00 to VMware because
> they contribute to the open source community, but are honest
> about what they do and do not take and release to it.

Codeweavers has contributed far more to the open source
community than VMWare, IMHO.

>  Was the money I donated to a supposed open source project
> given to a for profit company?

How did you donate it?  If you followed the instructions at the
bottom of http://www.winehq.org/site/contributing, your
donation is probably sitting in the Wine Party Fund, waiting
to help defray the cost of the next Wine developer conference.

Does that answer your questions?  You seem to have gone off the
deep end a bit.  Hopefully my answers are a lifeline to pull you
back into shallower waters!
- Dan