[Wine] Cannot run winecfg (output pasted)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:00:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM, colbert <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

>  Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM, colbert <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Thank you L. Rayhen, that worked! It runs now.
>  > >
>  > > Mark, I am using kernel 2.6.24 and alsa 1.0.16 (it just updated in pacman yesterday).
>  > >
>  > >
>  >
>  > It was a good catch in Rayhen's part on your video drivers but the
>  > clue for me questioning the kernel/Alsa was that the Alsa  error
>  > messages I clipped out are VERY common when new audio setup doesn't
>  > match the existing Alsa setup. We see them all the time
>  > Linux-Audio-Users with folks doing audio recording. (Ardour,
>  > Rosegarden, QTractor, etc.) Makes sense if you updated your kernel and
>  > the wine config didn't understand that. It also makes sense that if
>  > you updated your kernel but forgot to update your video drivers that
>  > something would be messed up.
>  >
>  > You might want to clean up your existing asound.state file if you
>  > continue to see messages like this.
>  >
>  > - Mark
>

>  Thanks Mark, how can I clean up the asound.state file? I haven't messed with alsa at all save for having my custom ~/.asoundrc.

The statements in your report about unknown PCM parameters are values
held in asound.state by alsamixer. Problem is when they rev Alsa the
numbers for all these things change and the new mixer doesn't match up
to the asound.state values. The simplest solution is to erase
/etc/asound.state and then rerun alsamixer by hand in a terminal.
alsamixer will save a new copy that is correct for your new version of
Alsa.

Hope this helps,
Mark