[Wine] Wine fonts messed up

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Mar 30 20:51:16 CDT 2008

dimesio wrote:
> vitamin wrote:
>
>> lsearcey wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry dimesio I'm very new to Ubuntu how do do all of that?
>>>
>> With text editor.
>>

> Vitamin's answer about the text editor refers to his suggestion, not mine. What he means is, open the file ~/.wine/system.reg in a text editor (gedit is one that I think is installed by default with Ubuntu) and look for the entry
>

>> [System\\CurrentControlSet\\Hardware Profiles\\Current\\Software\\Fonts]
>> "LogPixels"=dword:00000060
>>

> then change the 60 to a 78.

That value may be incorrect.  I gave instructions on how to determine
dots per inch (dpi) by dividing the number of pixels by the appropriate
inch range on your screen.  For instance:  I have two computers, a
MacBook Pro which has a 16:9 screen size of 15" on the diagonal.  The
actual screen size is 12 X 8 (approximately), my screen is set to
1440x960.  So if I do the math, my dpi is 120.  However, my IBM A22p is
also 15" but in 4:3 format so the actual dpi is 133.  So the number
entered is different for the two systems.  I would accept 120 (0x78) as
a good estimate and it is much better than 96 dpi (which would be true
on a 15" monitor running 640x480 or 800x600 but not 1024x768.  This
should eliminate the 'small fonts' problem and is what Windows actually
does to make displayed fonts larger.

Acrobat may have reset the dpi setting, but I don't think that should
happen.

James McKenzie