[Wine] how do I get it working ?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Mar 31 15:38:15 CDT 2008

On Monday March 31 2008 20:27:19 rob.rice wrote:
> vitamin wrote:
> > rob.rice wrote:
> > > did that and this is my out put from wine setup
> > >
> > > root at darkstar:~# wine setup
> >
> > Two things.
> > - What Wine version? (run 'wine --version')
> > - Why are you running as root? You should not ever need to run as root on
> > *NIX unless you performing system maintenance.
>
> "why are you running as root ?"
> habit I test all my new software as root to make sure the problems I run in
> to aren't permission problems

	This is *very* bad habit. You will get much more problems by doing this. If
you will not try to run *anything* as root first without good reasons you
will not have permission problems. This is as simple as that. By trying "all
new software" as root you are creating a lot of permission problems for
yourself, and this is also very insecure. Don't do this (and correct
permissions you already messed up by doing this), and you will not have such
problems anymore.

> the out put for " wine version " is the almost the same as " wine setup "
> just longer

	"wine version" is wrong command. Try this (just copy & paste):

wine --version

	You should get something like this as an output:

wine-0.9.58