[Wine] Try wineprefixcreate to repair old .wine instead of deleting

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:34:31 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I've used winecfg in the past so as to configure Alsa and drive D: as
>  >  a CDROM. If I run 'wine notepad' and then launch into a full blown
>  >  install of some game do I have sound? Does that setup recognize the
>  >  CD? I don't know as I haven't ever done it that way.
>  >
>  >  - Mark
>  >

>  Yes. You don't even have to run wine notepad (that was just an example).
>
>  $ rm -rf ~/.wine
>  $ wine your_game_setup.exe
>
>  Will launch the game setup with default wine options (Win XP/ALSA/no
>  virtual desktop/etc.). If your game needs any of those settings
>  changed, then you need to run winecfg first, or manually edit the
>  registry.

OK, I'll give that a try. However the process

rm -rf .wine
winecfg

implies that Alsa isn't set up by default. When I do that and go to
the Audio tab it tells me nothing is selected and that I have to
choose something. I choose Alsa, hear a sound (I think) and then apply
it.

I'm not sure if the creation of a D: drive and telling Wine that it's
a CD is required but I always do it. I suppose I should try a few
installs with different choices to see how they go.

Thanks,
Mark