[Wine] Problem with ToolBook (16bit)

whizer wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 1 08:46:28 CDT 2008

hi!
after i always changed to windows for just one stupid programm (from my university - important) which didn't work on wine, i got sick of it. i tried it once more with the newest version hoping it might be work and it already got farther then the last time (which was like december?!?!) but it doesn't work.
The program seems to be ToolBook based (http://www.toolbook.com) and has no installer. I found out that exactly the problem i get in wine exists on windows, too: http://www.proteatextware.com.au/shopcontent.asp?type=support#16%20bit (apparently also ToolBook based) but i don't know how to fix it. in the windows solution there's a problem with c:\Windows\System32\autoexec.nt (see link^). just copying the missing file in the wine system32 directory obviously doesn't work. I also tried windows 95 compatibility in winecfg - nothing. I think there's a problem with 16bit.
Another thing: when i start the program in the terminal i simply get nothing (i don't get an error message an the program doesn't start)

Code:
whizer at whizer-laptop:~$ wine "C:\franz\start.exe"
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-00010000
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-00010000
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-00010000
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-00010000
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-00010000
whizer at whizer-laptop:~$

(i tried the walkaround solution to get rid of the preloader system)
when i start the file directly by double clicking i get the error message.

I am using ubuntu 8.04, wine0.9.60
(the program i try to use is distributed by "Université catholique de Louvain" - Histologie générale)
If there's any more information i can give you, just tell me what and how.

Thanks in advance!

whizer