[Wine] Steam Tahoma Font

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Sun May 4 13:55:10 CDT 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 02:45:04 am wispa wrote:
> How have you installed Wine? Did you compile it from the source?
>
> I have the same issue when I compile Wine myself, the Tahoma font is in the
> Windows/fonts directory yet the text in Steam is not displayed.
>
> However, if I uninstall Wine from the source and re-install using APT (I'm
> using Debian) and re-run Steam, all the text is visible and all is well.
>
> The only downside to this is not being able to use the most up-to-date
> release of Wine until the packages have been distributed for Debian.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions as to why this is, pleas elet me know.
>
> ...Am I missing something in building the source? I just use the
> ./tools/wineinstall process
>
> Thanks

Because X doesn't work like Windows for fonts.  Your X server needs to know
about the fonts, if it knows the fonts, 9 times out of 10, X will
automatically do the right thing if put in a situation it has to guess.
About the only time you won't see text displayed in X is if 1) You don't have
the font, and 2) X doesn't have any guess what a suitable replacement would
be.

That being said, I go from the wine packages in sid (which for me seem to work
better), and I keep fonts that aren't from any packages I installed in
~/.fonts, which is one of the places X looks for additional fonts.   My
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts directory is empty.  Steam works fine.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html