[Wine] Wine and security, keeping viruses contained

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun May 4 16:13:32 CDT 2008

JerryQuest skrev:
> Exactly what I mean. Wine should not enable the simulated Windows to access my Linux desktop if the respective check-box is NOT activated. This is either a bug or wrong design.

Was that a reply to my comment? If so, what ARE you talking about? I
just stated that Windows DID NOT access your Linux desktop. It was
Wine's doing, spawning a Unix shell script to create a link on your
desktop, for your convenience (or agitation, as it were).

That said, Wine isn't a sandbox, you can't really stop malicious
software from doing anything your user can do, if that software really
wants to break out of the simulated Windows environment.