[Wine] Ubuntu Hardy + Wine + WoW = corrupted graphics
Michael S. Peek
peek at tiem.utk.edu
Wed May 7 11:08:35 CDT 2008
I've got a laptop w/ an "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML"
graphics card (I know, Intel sucks) running Ubuntu Hardy and Wine
I've had problems getting World of Warcraft to run under wine before, so
when I upgraded to Hardy I thought I would try it again. At least in
the past I could run WoW using the built-in d3d engine (instead of
opengl) and it would be usable, just not fast. But now things have
gotten a /LOT/ worse. I get lots of video problems:
- Blue flickering whenever a window or icon underneath the wine window
scrolls or updates itself, or whenever I click the mouse in the wine window.
- Moving the wine window around causes bits of itself to be left behind
on the desktop underneath, both on the desktop and in the windows of
- The wine window loses it's window decorations if moved or
- When WoW is run full-screen the icons from the gnome panel underneath
keep redrawing themselves over the wine display.
This only seems to happen when I'm running the game (happens in both
-opengl and -d3d). This doesn't happen at all if I just run something
simple like winecfg or regedit.
I have screenshots to show what I'm talking about.
- This image shows the garbage left behind on the desktop whenever the
wine window is moved around the screen:
- This image shows the flickering that takes place whenever a window
underneath the wine window changes and redraws itself. (In this case
the large blue square you see in the lower-left is an xterm window
Has anyone else had problems like this?
Does anyone know a solution?
Thanks for your help,
More information about the wine-users