[Wine] Re: winetricks vcrun2005 does not appear to install DLLs

gnivler wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 9 19:23:00 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM, gnivler <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>

> > > Final experiment: see if
> > > rm -rf .wine
> > > sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1
> > > (install the game)
> > > makes the game work.  I'm not sure you tried that exact combination.
> > >

> > Should I be downloading a new winetricks for this experiment
> >

> no, it has not changed
>

> > or specifying win2k vcrun2005sp1?
> >

> no.  That's the point of the experiment, to check whether vcrun2005sp1 was the
> important bit, and not the win2k part.
>

> > As it stands when I run that exact command it does what it
> > was doing before and not putting dlls into system32.
> >

> Yes, of course.  The question is, does the game install and run then?
>

> > I've installed the game successfully again - incidentally it comes
> > packaged with vcredist_x86.exe but if it's running, it's silent as I'm not
> > even seeing a window pop up briefly.  winver has been winxp through this test.
> >

> Yeah, the game would probably install vcredist_x86 if we didn't
> have our own msvcrt, or something.
>
> What version is that vcredist_x86, if you run it by hand?

Ok good, I figured you knew what you were asking me to do, so I followed the instructions to the letter :)

The .exe just runs silently, no obvious version is presented, so I cracked it open with cabextract and found that every file has a variation of 80 or 8.0.xxx so I can guess it's version 8, if the details are important I can paste a directory listing of what was extracted or upload the file to a one click hoster for you to look at.

> > mason at mason-desktop:~$ rm -rf .wine
> > mason at mason-desktop:~$ sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1
> > mason at mason-desktop:~$ ll c/windows/system32/msvc*
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 mason mason 2456 2008-05-09 14:57 c/windows/system32/msvcrt.dll
> >
> > (game install)
> >
> > mason at mason-desktop:~/c/Program Files/Aspyr/Guitar Hero III$ wine GH3.exe
> > fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
> > fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
> > err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR80.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Aspyr\\Guitar Hero III\\fmodex.dll") not found
> >

> Well, damn.  Guess you need both win2k and vcrun2005sp1, and
> I do have to change winetricks after all.
> - Dan

Yeah I think you're right, while I was using the winver switch the game didn't actually run (with the overrides) until I had the sp1 version installed, before starting again for testing.  I didn't get anywhere without changing winver.